History of Clay County Courts
Clay County was created on December 31, 1858, from a section of Duval County. Its name is in honor of Henry Clay, a famous American statesman who was a member of the United States Senate from Kentucky as well as a United States Secretary of State from 1825 to 1829.
When Clay County was created, Middleburg was named as the temporary county seat. As a result of an 1859 election, Whitesville (Webster) became the official county court site. Clay County’s first courthouse was located there. In 1871, Green Cove Springs was chosen as the new county seat. Although the Courts met there in 1872, it was 1874 before a two-story frame courthouse was completed. In 1889 a new, large two-story brick building was ready for use. The Old Clay County Courthouse served as the seat of county government until 1973. This structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
For more information on the history of Clay County, please visit the Clay County Archives.